AAI Minority Affairs Committee: Careers Roundtable and Speed Networking Session
Cherié L. Butts, Biogen; AAI Minority Affairs Committee Chair
Networking skills have never been more crucial to ensure success for early/mid-career scientists, including those traditionally under-represented in biomedical research. At the roundtable, take advantage of the opportunity to meet in small-group format with accomplished, senior immunologists to hear how they have handled the career challenges you now face and learn what they believe will work for you today. Then practice networking in a relaxed environment offering a structured networking exercise and personalized feedback on communicating your scientific interests/objectives most effectively. Scientists and trainees of all backgrounds are encouraged to attend! Registration Fee: $25 (Includes lunch plus coffee during networking hour.)
Discussion topics and table leaders:
- Grad student: finding a mentor, setting sights on postdoc training
- Table Leaders: Claudia Jakubzick, Natl. Jewish Hlth.; Luis A. Sanchez-Perez, Duke Univ.; Tonya Webb, Univ. of Maryland; Harlan Jones, Univ. of North Texas Hlth. Sci. Ctr.
- Postdoc: finding a mentor, setting sights on a faculty position
- Table Leaders: Mireia Guerau-de-Arellano, Ohio State Univ.; Charlotte Vines, Univ. of Texas, El Paso; Eduardo Davila, Univ. of Maryland Greenebaum Cancer Ctr.
- Junior Faculty: preparing for promotion and tenure
- Table Leaders: Robert J. Binder, Univ. of Pittsburgh; Floyd Wormley, Univ. of Texas, San Antonio
- — NEW — Mid-Career Faculty: creative strategies for maintaining momentum in funding, research, people management
- Table Leaders: Arturo Casadevall, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg Sch. of Publ. Hlth.; Avery August, Cornell Univ. Col. of Vet. Med.; Prosper N. Boyaka, Ohio State Univ.; Tyler J. Curiel, Univ. of Texas Hlth. Sci. Ctr., San Antonio
- Academia or Industry: how to decide (or switch sides)
- Table Leaders: Jonathan A. Deane, GNF/Novartis; Robert Balderas, BD Biosciences; Margaret Bynoe, Cornell Univ. Col. of Vet. Med.
- Government Agency Careers: CDC, FDA, NIH
- Table Leaders: Marta Catalfamo, Georgetown Univ.; Charles Egwuagu, NEI, NIH
- Non-Bench-Research Science Careers – e.g., scientific publishing; entrepreneurship; intellectual property/patent law
- Table Leaders: James W. Lillard, Jr., Morehouse Sch. of Med. and JYANT Technologies, Inc.; Jacques Deguine, Cell Press; Susan C. Wolski, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office